Boys vs Girls Disney Movies?

 

Purpose:

To investigate if what Walt Disney Animation Studio Movies males prefer more than females (if any).

 

Source(s):

I used the List of Walt Disney Animation Studios films Wikipedia page (https://u.nu/tAsiC).

I scraped IMDB ratings mid-2019 to get the ratings. When you have an IMDB account, there is a page that shows you gender demographics and age demographics. IMDB gets these demographics from their IMDB members who have registered with their gender and age.

Excel Data: (https://u.nu/OKPYh). Annotated R Code: (https://u.nu/WTLnX)

 

Highlights and Considerations:

•      Females tend to rate movies more favorably than males (Δ = 0.14). I group mean-centered the data (by gender) to see if women still liked Disney movies more than men after controlling for this small systematic bias.

•      Disney movies are rated higher than the average IMDB rating (Δ = .45), but are more favorably rated by females than males compared to their baselines (♂ = +0.34; ♀ = +0.56; Δ = 0.23)

•      The popularity of the movies cannot be determined by the graph, only the differences between male and female ratings.

•      The highest-rated Disney movie is The Lion King (μ = 8.5) whereas Chicken Little was the lowest-rated (μ = 5.9)

•      As the scrape was 2019, Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) is not included in the list.

 

Graphics:

I made the graphic in R and a few edits and tweaks in PowerPoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Years of Supreme Court Justice Replacements

Boy vs Girl Marvel Movies?